Saturday, June 14, 2008

Stranded

Ahhh, wool. It's the best. I just cast-on the Double Knit Mittens from The Knitter's Book of Yarn for a little summertime challenge. As much as I love multi-color knit objects, I have never been very happy with my own projects. (It's the reason I bought a knitting machine.) I thought this pattern would be a good way to try again since most of the time you are knitting with two strands of the same color. I figured my mistakes could be camouflaged, and if they weren't perfect, what the heck, they're mittens. Right?

So far so good. I've got the cuff knit on one and a few rows of the solid. I've experimented with different ways of holding two strands of yarn at once. One in each hand. Both in one hand split over two fingers. Throwing. Picking. I've decided that there's just no two-handed knitting for me. Being left-handed, I'm usually pretty flexible, but it's not going to happen. On the two color knitting, I ended up picking up each color, one at a time. (I know, lame.) On the single color, 1x1 stranding, I've worked out a way of holding both yarns in my left hand over the same finger and picking up the strand I need. We'll see.

No comments: