Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Kyler's Komplete (Kouldn't Resist)

As long as I was spreading out my latest project to dry after its first bath, I thought I'd snap a few pictures. It photographs about as well as a bowl of oatmeal, doesn't it?

This hooded cardigan ended up having a ribbed collar at the last minute when I found that I liked the 2x2 ribbing that was setting up the base of the hood instead. It took me a little fidgeting to get it to look right, but I think I'll like this better. (My quick notes on what I did can be found here.)

There are a few mistakes in the pattern, and it seems like a lot of knitting, which is not always a bad thing when you can accomplish other things at the same time--reading or watching a movie. But it's a good, practical sweater that I'm sure will get plenty of use.

Here's a warning to anyone who hates to do any hand sewing on their knitting. You do have to sew the seams under the arms. No big deal. It's garter stitch. The real treat comes when you have to sew in the full length zipper. There are directions for buttons, but the zipper is the way to go. You'll just have to grit your teeth and do it. A tip? Never try and hand stitch a zipper in a garment without basting it in place first. Use some heavy, bright colored thread that will pull out easily when you're done. It's an extra couple minute step that will save you much aggravation.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

That's kompletely kool, Kathy!