Thursday, March 12, 2009

Spring Break!

What sounds better on a mid-March morning when the temperature dips in the below zero range than spring break? These are the months that make living in MN the agony and the ecstasy. A 50 degree day of puddles and chirping birds can send you soaring, and then a cold frost snaps you back into reality with fresh snow and windchills. It's time to get out and to remind yourself that life can, and will, be good again.

So what to pack? I mean for knitting. There's just a few more hours of work on the incredibly boring Amherst cardigan. I truly hope I like this sweater when I'm done, because knitting it has been like watching paint dry. Since I've been reading and watching the videos of Elizabeth Zimmermann lately, I'm even a little embarrassed that I paid money for a pattern that is this simple. Oh, no! I'm a "blind follower".

I decided to pick up a couple of skeins of wool and work on a scarf. In January, I had the brilliant(?) idea of possibly knitting a scarf for every member of my family to give as Christmas gifts at some unknown date in the future. I'll admit, I've had my reservations about this plan. It was hatched from the reality that I probably have enough sweaters, shawls, mitten, and hats for myself, but it seems as though my family is where handknit items go to die, or at least disappear. My experience has been that only knitters themselves really appreciate a handknit gift, and they can knit their own things. It's a conundrum, I tell you.

But what will it hurt to knit one scarf. I'll see how it goes and have a gift at the ready to boot.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I thought you might be gone for the week! Sorry we didn't get together today. Anyway, I have to get my rear in gear and clean Ben's room. He comes home tonight.
The Amherst is a good sweater. Sometimes we need no-brainers and to be blind followers.