Thursday, April 23, 2009

80?

Our thermometer is flirting with 80 degrees for the first time this year. What a treat! And as if on cue, my Bloodroots--Sanguinaria canadensis, if it makes you feel better--have started blooming. I have a few lone, kind of pathetic, and apparently very stubborn grape hyacinth that are my first blooming plants every spring, but they are soon followed by the Bloodroots that will unpredictably pop up just about anywhere.

Another surprise in the garden today was the appearance of my very first asparagus spears. Last year I found some dry root asparagus plants in a bargain bin at the nursery, and I decided I didn't have too much to lose by throwing them into the garden. I've been watching every day to see if there was any hope, and today I see some shoots. I remember my Mom had asparagus in her garden years ago, and she always claimed that it grows so fast that you could stand by and literally watch it get taller. I see what she means. There was nothing just the other day. Unfortunatly, it will be another year or two before I will be able to harvest any to eat. Asparagus. Mmmmm.

To celebrate this first taste of summer, we are going to grill some smoked brats on our freshly cleaned grill, have some potato salad (made it last night), baked beans, and a very cold beer (or two). If the Twins were playing, it would be a perfect night.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Oh that sounds good. I'm impressed you have things blooming. I have lots of sticks in the yard. One of the cyclists does landscaping on the side. I'm going to break down and get help!