Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Adult Tomten Coat

The Zimmermann winter progresses as I put the finishing touches on my Tomten Coat this week. I cracked the whip and hand-sewed the zipper in before I could even think about putting aside to do "later." Eww. Zippers. But it's what I knew would look the best and be the most practical for easy wear. (Either that or practice saying, "Just a minute honey, I'm coming. I only have ten more buttons to go.)

The Tomten pattern is one that I've wanted to try for a long time. I love its simplicity and the fact that it's easy to adapt to any size. Once you knit a swatch and do some simple math, you're on your way.

My original plan was to try and stay as true to the original pattern as possible , but there were some modifications that I decided were necessary to get a better fit. And that's always been the beauty of Mrs. Zimmermann's patterns; they are meant to be adapted to your own style and needs. I put most of the notes for this project on my Ravelry page--just in case I ever decide to do it again. In fact, as I was knitting this one, I got a great idea for another one. We'll see.

Overall, I would have to say that this was a worthwhile project. There were times when I ended up knitting and re-knitting some of the sections of the jacket, but I think I learned a few things about shaping and design. The Lite Lopi was a good choice for the project. It's warm and lofty and will hold up well over the years. I'm also glad that I knit in the cuffs on the sleeves and went with the zipper front. Both choices make it more jacket-ish. I really like the color combination, too. That was just the dumb luck of having a couple of good contrast colors in my leftover bin.

Now I can get back to my other Zimmermann project, the (Red) Green Sweater. I've got the steeks cut and am working on the handwork for the facings--only slightly more interesting than applying a zipper. More good experience, right?

No comments: