Monday, March 28, 2011

Flu, Flowers, and Finishing Up

Yep. Lost a whole week to the flu. It's too bad that you have to wait until you feel like total crap to have a week like I did last week. Sometime I should just fake the whole thing and spend several days in a row in my pajamas, reading books, taking naps, watching old movies, and not doing one lick of anything at all resembling productive work. That sounds so good, except I was too darn sick to appreciate how great I had it.

With an energy level that is still mostly low, even I know that I can only be a slug for so long. A guilty conscience kicks back in again when a fever breaks. So, today was simply about getting up, getting dressed, and getting out to see something besides these four walls.

What could be a better way to snap out of a funk than a visit to Macy's Spring Flower Show? Not surprisingly, we weren't the only ones who thought this was the place to be on a cold day in late March. The crowds, however, were totally worth the show. This might be one of the best I've ever seen.

Gorgeous displays and color combinations, and all the flowers haven't even come to full bloom yet. We've even thinking about going back next week to see it again. I'm sure it must smell as great as it looks. (Not sure about that one yet.)

After we got our fill of the flowers and had a bite, we decided to swing by the Conservatory on our way home and see what they were showing for their spring display.

Como was nearly as popular--looks like every Minnesotan is craving some signs of spring. Another beautiful display, and even my stuffed up sinuses could pick up the fragrance of all the hyacinths in bloom.

It was tough to walk past the mountains of dirty melting snow to get back to the car. We could feel the orneriness build. Come on! Enough! Lucky I remembered the camera so I can remind myself that there are better times ahead, and soon, I hope.

Now that I think about it, I was somewhat productive over the weekend. Fun productive. I cast-on a new knitting project. Last week I had purchased and downloaded Kay Gardiner's (Mason-Dixon Knitting) Mitered Crosses Blanket Pattern.

The proceeds from the cost of the pattern will be donated to aid people in Japan who have been affected by the earthquake and tsunami, so go buy it. Besides contributing to a great cause, it's such fun to knit and so pretty!

Warning: This pattern is addicting. The "one more row" syndrome is compounded by the "one more square", by the "one more border." Yikes.

Instead of using the prescribed Noro, for my Knitted Quilt I went with the more cost conscious Lion Brand yarns--Fisherman's Wool and Amazing. So far, it looks fabulous. (In my humble opinion.) Trust me, no need to look down your knitting nose at either of these yarns. They are perfect substitutions.

I also put the finishing touches on my EZ EPS Henley this weekend. Good old Elizabeth comes through again. Don't you just love her practical advice? She's a very liberating instructor. I only wish I would have gotten her books years ago when I was first learning to knit.

Color work is still not my favorite knitting technique, but it's definitely more doable when knit in the round.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

The two blocks you made with LB's Amazing are beautiful. I really like the color. I might have to give this yarn a try.