Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Finished Project!

 Yes, a finished project!  It's been so long.

I sometimes get the nagging feeling that I haven't accomplished much of anything in the last few months, but here's concrete proof that I have.  A finished sweater.  And I like it, and it fits, too!

When I saw this pattern at the Yarn Harbor shop in Duluth, I thought it would be interesting to knit a sweater on the bias, and I thought it was a good way to knit with two colors that wouldn't end up in a tangle since you knit only one color per row.  I put yarn to needles way back in February and worked on it when I felt like keeping busy as we watched movies and shows we had on Tivo.  There was a long hiatus while I was getting my transplant...and then I picked it up again earlier this summer.

Now that I think about it, there was some weird TV viewing going on with this knitting.  I started it while we were watching last season's episodes of Fringe, and I completed the project re-watching the whole Twin Peaks series.  There should be some strange vibe around this sweater.

As I was knitting, I'll admit that I wasn't exactly sure if I liked it or not, but now that it's done, I do.  It's a good every day, knock around sweater.  Something different.

I did make one adjustment.  Rather than use the directions for a striped neck and button band, I used a single color and knit a band around the entire edge.  I thought it did a good job of toning down the test-pattern look to the cardigan.  It's just garter stitch with some increases around the turns and buttonholes knit in.  Probably something I remembered from an Elizabeth Zimmerman project.

Progress is still being made on my cabled blanket, but I've had a hard time working on my scarf/mittens.  It's the project I took with me to the hospital.  I think it brings back bad memories.  (I should have finished that while I was watching Twin Peaks.  Bob peeking between my dpns.)

Otherwise, it's been a dull summer.  Still restricted on what I can do and working on getting my usual strength and stamina back.  I have been walking.  And walking.  And walking.  By now the neighbors must be used to me going around and around the neighborhood.  I've also kept busy in the kitchen.  No one said I couldn't cook, so I've been whipping up all kinds of things.  Baking.  Perfecting my ice cream making skills.  Trying new entrees.  I can even eat pretty much whatever I want since I need to gain some weight back.

The best news of all is that I am in remission.  After some recovery time from the transplant, we repeated all the tests and it looks good.  I don't think I can quite put this all in the "finished project" category, but for now life is starting to get back to normal.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Great sweater! Gld to see the word remission!, too. I hope to see you soon.