Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Dirty Laundry

Eeewww. This is my ironing board cover. Somehow, it looks even more disgusting in the picture than it does to the eye. Ironing is not my favorite chore and having to look at this every week didn't help.

I needed a new cover, but if I was lucky enough to find one that fit my extra-wide ironing board, it was always in a boring muslin. Today, I finally decided to make one myself. After I finished getting my groceries, I ran over to the fabric store and picked up a couple yards of the brightest and cheeriest cotton I could find. I went with a heavier decorator weight, brought it home, and threw it in the washing machine with the water temperature set at "hot" to shrink the heck out of the fabric.

I did a little checking online to see if anyone had some tips on the best way to stitch it up, but in the end I just went with the quick and dirty--turning the ironing board upside down on top of the fabric, cutting enough for a casing, stitching it up with some buttonholes on the wide end to run the cord saved from the old one. And ta-da. Why did I wait so long?

It's not like I can't wait to get to my husband's work shirts next week, but it's one of those nagging to-do list projects that I can check off of the master list.

No comments: