Monday, March 7, 2011

A Brief Respite

Since Spring doesn't seem to be coming to us any time soon, we decided to go and find some on our own. The Como Park Conservatory seemed like the perfect place to take in the sights and smells that we miss so much during our long winters.

The minute you step in the door, you can feel the change in humidity. The coat comes off, and you just inhale. It's warm, it's tropical, it's green. I could stay here awhile.


The Winter Flower Show is full of fragrant lilies, cyclamen, and camellias. There are also many colors of amaryllis blooms and azaleas. This particular show lasts until March 20. It's hard to imagine that they can top this for the Easter display. Trust me, they will.


The 'La Mancha' Lily is the one that caught my eye. The blossoms are huge, and the colors are just gorgeous. It's a Zone 5 lily, so it would take some pampering if we had a tough winter, but I think I'll have to give it a try. My other lilies seem to be a favorite rabbit food. I'd have to work hard to protect this one.




Last, but not least there were all kinds of one of my all time favorites--the foxgloves. I've had mixed luck with these in my garden. Last year was the first time that I was really happy with the results. Apparently, there are some varieties now that will bloom in their first year. You just plant them like annuals. I'll have to put those on the list as well.


We finished off the afternoon with lunch at Brasa on Grand. Also a place that smells very, very good.

Spring was nice while it lasted; more snow is on the way tomorrow.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Pretty flowers. I love the foxgloves, too. hope you had a wonderful lunch!