Sunday, January 25, 2009

Finishing Up and Giving Up

On the rare occasion when I knit an item twice, I'm so glad that I have the terrible habit of writing in books. When I was considering which pattern to use for the workhorse cardigan I had in mind for my most recent project, I pulled out my Cottage Creations booklets and decided to try another Rambling Rows Cardigan. My scribblings reminded me which needles I used--I still knit a new swatch since even the exact same yarn in a different color can have a different gauge--how much yarn to buy, where I made modifications, and even which buttonholes I preferred.

The end result is exactly what I had in mind. Like the first one, I used Lite Lopi, which I love. This time I chose a good neutral charcoal grey. The pattern couldn't be simpler, but it's fun to see the sweater come together, almost as if by magic, as you knit square by square. The only seams are the ones that run under the arm. After you knit on the border, all that's left is to sew on two buttons and do some gentle blocking. I love it so much, I'm tempted to do it all over again in a brown or tan version, but that will have to be another time.

So, I had my cardigan spread out on the floor drying and a whole evening ahead of me without yarn in the house for a new project. The horror! (No, I do not have a stash. I buy yarn; I knit the yarn; I go buy more yarn. I know that's unusual, but that's me.) I decided to get out the dreaded Double Knit Mittens to see if I could develop a little enthusiasm for getting these bleeping things finished.

Believe it or not, I finished one! And now, I surrender. I can not and will not knit the second mitten. There is nothing wrong with the pattern--it's me. I'm not good at knitting with two yarns, and I'm finally willing to admit defeat. This mitten actually looks like I knit it with my feet. So, by photographing each side, I'm going to pretend, for just a moment, that they are a pair. Humor me.

Since I won't be able to get to a yarn store for a few days, I did dig out my box of odds and ends from old projects and cast on something to tide me over. Maybe I'll share when it's finished. It's just something silly to keep me busy.

Winter marches on, and the cold is getting to be oppressive. Usually, I try not to let the weather influence my mood What do they say? There isn't bad weather, just bad clothing. Bundle up, layer it on, and get going. This winter has been tough though. The temps have been below zero for so long that we actually feel excited to see the thermometer reach "normal" levels.

To survive, the birds that come to our feeders just keep eating. (Sound familiar?) Despite the temps, I try to stay faithful to keeping our feeders full. Since fall, I've gone through nearly 100 lbs. of bird seed, and several packages of suet. Putting up with the squirrels and rabbits is worth it when I look out my window and see the beautiful cardinals. If they can take it, so can I.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Glad you have the sweater done. I've been looking at the other cardigan pattern from CC. I like the gray Lite Lopi. Bummer about the mittens. Maybe you can use them as a decoration? a knitting gadget holder? small dpn needle case? Hope to see you soon!

Laurie Lou said...

Loved your blog on this sweater...waht a beautiful yarn too. I'm just now considering this sweater. I'm no knitter and thought this one might be easy enough for me...so I got a chuckle about making one mitten...That's me too!