Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Knitting Resolution or Insanity?

Looking for a quick and mostly brainless project to work on over the hubbub of the holidays, I flipped through one of my Elizabeth Zimmermann books and decided to try the Mitered Mittens pattern from The Knitter's Almanac. The pattern seemed simple enough, and I'm always attracted to practical knitting, so I did some research on Ravelry.

I discovered two things. First, that Noro Silk Garden appeared to be the perfect choice for this pattern. The long and gradual color changes show off the mitered design. And second, that someone had managed to make an Elizabeth Zimmermann pattern even better. The original pattern gives directions for an after-thought mitten, but Ravelrer Grace Ivy has written out some basic instructions for a thumb gusset.

So, away I went, and Mrs. Zimmermann, once again, did not disappoint. The knitting is easy enough to memorize (you can put the book away after your first mitten), but has just enough going on to keep you interested. And the mittens are beautiful. My only complaint was that they worked up too quickly. My first pair were finished in no time, and I still needed some vacation knitting. I grabbed some leftover yarn and whipped up two more pairs.

What's the point of this exciting story? (Yawn.) Well, in the middle of Mitered Mitten mania, I had an idea. I'm not usually one to make New Year's Resolutions. (That's what people say when they don't have the fortitude to keep New Year's Resolutions.) My idea isn't so much a resolution as a goal. What if I spent the next year--or two/three?--making a scarf for everyone in my family for their Christmas gifts? That's about fourteen scarfs. Is that just craziness or really a do-able goal? Would it be a rewarding experience? Or would I be grabbing one to hang myself with by August?

I'll have to give this some more thought. There are some other things I want to work on in the queue, and I'm in the middle of my second Rambling Rows cardigan at the moment. Maybe I'll try one scarf and see how it goes from there.

Doesn't a scarf sound like a good idea on what is going to be the coldest night of the winter--so far?

1 comment:

Deborah said...

That sounds good! Go for it. I won't let you hang yourself in August. We'll just have to go to coffee and vent!