Friday, July 31, 2009

Cable Chart Psychology

How can it be the last day of July already? That's a little sad, but we still have some of our best summer plans ahead for August, so I'll try not to get to down about July's demise.

It has been a good July for knitting. Hot and humid weather can be a deterrent to picking up the needles. With the cool temps we've had, a growing cardigan on my lap in the evenings actually feels good.

This morning I decided to lay out my sweater to double check that I'm still on gauge and that all of my cables are going the right way. As long as it was on the floor and my camera was nearby, I snapped a picture.


At this point in a project--when I've become very familiar with the pattern and am sailing along--I've learned from past experiences, to do some quality control. Familiarity breeds stupidity, if you know what I mean. It's no fun finding out that you zigged when you should have zagged about twenty rows back.

As I was knitting along the other day, I also got to thinking about cable chart psychology and wondered if anyone else experiences similar thoughts. Here's the thing. On most cable charts, the wrong side row is generally just knitting the knit stitches and purling the purls, so I always think of those rows as my "brain gets a rest" rows. Then I also tend to have rows in the chart that I like to knit--row 9 is quite exciting in this pattern--and rows I tend to dislike (even dread)--row 1 is the dull one in this bunch. Isn't this sad? I am probably exposing my own simple mind. I'm sure other knitters contemplate world affairs or read "War and Peace" while they work their craft.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Completing row 1, it's only 8 rows to row 9...sort of like climbing the first hill of a roller coaster!

Deborah said...

Sorry I forgot to mention how gorgeous the sweater is so far!!