Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mother Nature's Fireworks

My thistle plant is in full bloom, and full of bees. And you know what? They're busy. Huh.

These perfect globes of color come from a plant that has to be over a hundred years old. I took a division from my Mom's, who took it from her Mother's, who probably took it from her's.

This is a plant that gives twice--once with the blossoms and again when the goldfinches come later and devour the seeds.

Another old reliable, the echinacea, is blooming, too. The birds would like me to leave this to go to seed with the rest, but it self-sows like crazy.

The garden is saying mid-July. The weather, however, feels more like early fall. It's been a cool summer. That keeps the lettuce from bolting, but my tomatoes and beans could use some heat. So could I.

It looks like the weather is going to cooperate for a family picnic we have planned for the weekend. The whole gang doesn't get together too often with lots of busy schedules, so this is a rare occasion. We're covering two birthdays and our 25th Anniversary. That quarter of a century flew by!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Pretty flowers! I'm going to wear a sweater today. I confess I don't mind the mild temps. I know the heat is out there and will catch up to us soon!
Have a fun picnic.