Friday, September 4, 2009

I Love You Son, But Could You Get Your Crap Out Of Our Living Room?

As summer comes to its unofficial end, I'm getting the same overwhelming feeling I get every September to get back to a normal routine and spend some time getting my life and my house back into shape. By the end of August, I have usually surrendered myself to the fact that some things have to be compromised. However, I can only take disorder for so long. It's been great having our son home from college for the summer, but I have to admit that I am looking forward to, among other things, picking up the kitchen and having it stay clean for at least a few hours.

Now we have a growing mountain of apartment furnishings taking over our living room that will all have to be hauled off this weekend. Another moving day. Part of me envies his going back to college. Those are great years. Most of me is glad that I'm past living in an overpriced closet and eating boxed macaroni and cheese.

So, the summer in review. We got to Lake Vermillion for some fishing, Chicago for the Twins, went to the PGA, and made it to sunny CA. We squeezed in visits to aunts, uncles, and cousins. There were lots of hours in the garden, and I think I have perfected the art of making my own yogurt. I knit three sweaters and a baby blanket. We celebrated twenty-five years of marriage. We ate lots of great food, drank a few wonderful summer adult beverages, saw some great movies--and a few that weren't so great. And we must have gone to at least a dozen different golf courses. Whew!

It was a terrific summer, and I love you son and will miss you, but could you please get your crap out of our living room?

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Happy belated anniversary, glad you had a good summer...I like the last paragraph. It was tempting to take photos of the hangers beside Ben's bed--I swear they looked like Marcel Duchamp's painting Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2! When are you free for some java and summer chit chat?