Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Have Some Sewing with Your Knitting

After spending several evenings of my knitting time sewing down steeks, I'm back to the knitting portion of the program. Whew! I will have to admit that that part of the EZ's Green Sweater pattern kind of sucks. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice on the inside to have all these cleanly finished facings, but eww!, I don't like hand sewing. The trouble is, I've never been an "Oh, that looks good enough" kind of person, so I messed around with it probably a little too much in the name of neatness.

One tip that I've learned from other projects like this is to go ahead and finish the areas that won't require any more work--including sewing in the ends and clipping the yarn, but to leave the yarn and the last few stitches of finishing in the areas of the sweater that aren't quite done so that it can all be tidied up in the end. On this sweater, I left the facings open on the last few stitches towards the live stitches by the neckline and shoulders.

When I picked up the stitches for the sleeve, I followed the recommendation to pick up three of every four stitches and ended up with a couple over the suggested stitch count. I was fine with that. (I guess that I am, on the other hand, an "Oh, that's close enough" person.) I know I won't mind a little longer sleeve.

On the first read, the first round of the gusset directions threw me off for a minute. Is my stitch count correct? Yep. Just read ahead a little for the description for the corner points. If this threw you too, maybe it will help to read Round 1 like this, "K1, ssk, k25, k2tog, k1, slip marker, k1, ssk, knit until 3 sts remain, k2 tog, k1." Doesn't that gusset look nice, though?

I also like the way a real shoulder forms by starting the top of the sleeve decreases twelve rows in from the seam. I'll have to remember that.

Despite all the finishing, which really wasn't as bad as my whining makes it sound, I am really enjoying this project. It's so out of the ordinary, and I'm loving the yarn. I'll have to admit though that I am feeling the itch to go out and get something new. The snow has been melting quickly this week, and every drip off the roof of the house has me dreaming about spring. Those cotton and linen yarns will still be waiting for me after I'm done with my wool.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I'm anxious to see this sweater!

I can see grass in the back yard!!!