Friday, February 22, 2013

Long Knitting

As I was updating some of my Ravelry projects, it occurred to me that all of my current projects are long pieces.  I know this wasn't planned, but I'm certain it's because I don't like the process of trying to decide what to knit next after I've finished a project.  Every one of the patterns on my needles at the moment should keep me busy knitting for some time.

The most time-consuming is the Cabled Afghan I started over a year ago.  Whether it was wise counsel or not, I chose to knit this blanket in one, wide piece rather than knit it in strips and face the drudgery of putting them all together when I was done.  Obviously, the progress is slow when knitting across so many stitches, and cables to boot, but it grows---bit by bit.  Occasionally, I lay it out on the floor or coffee table to be sure I haven't zigged where I should have zagged.  It would be terrible to find a mistake and have to frog several inches.

As of today, the finished length measured 28", eight skeins in.  I think I purchased 20 skeins total.  Plenty for a good sized blanket.  Nothing worse than pulling a blanket up to your chin and having your toes exposed. 

Side One
The most recent cast-on is a Reversible Scarf with cables featured on one side and lace on the other.  It's a pattern from the aptly titled book, Reversible Scarves, by Audrey Knight.  I must confess that this wasn't the intended pattern for the yarn.  It's a second shot at yarn that was meant to be a capped sleeve cardigan from a pattern that, in the end, turned out to be more trouble than it was worth for all its errors and bad writing.  I won't mention the name of the pattern to protect the guilty.

Side Two
Anyway, this pattern is so cute with the ruffly edge on both sides, and I love the concept of not having a wrong side on a knitted scarf.  I would imagine I'll have enough yarn for a scarf and a pair of matching mittens eventually.  I made my usual flip cards with directions for each row to keep track and keep the brain work to a minimum since this is the project I keep where we watch movies.  A very fun knit.

The most ignored project is my Scarf w/Mittens travel work.  Ah, because we haven't done much traveling.  This project sits in a bag, in my otherwise empty suitcase, in my closet waiting for some adventure.  I hope it's patient.  No journeys are planned, for a while anyway.

A week from today we will meet the wonderful milestone of making it to March!  This is big news in Minnesota.  Sure, we can still have some wintery days, but we're on the other side of winter now.  We can see the light ahead.  We know that it can be snowing and cold one day, and warm and sunny the next.  Anything is possible at this point.  Moods are improving.

How many more weeks before I can get back out in my garden?  Whoo-hoo!


1 comment:

Deborah said...

Beautiful work! As much as I love winter my wish is for you to be digging in the dirt in your garden soon!