Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dark Chocolate Cookies with Sour Cherries

Generally speaking, if a recipe has cocoa powder in it, I pass it by. Let's face it, this stuff is bad news. No matter how careful I am, it tends to get everywhere. So, when my son requested the Dark Chocolate Cookies with Sour Cherries after I bought Martha Stewart's new Cookies recipe book, I wasn't so sure. They did have all the right ingredients though: bittersweet chocolate and tart dried cherries mixed into butter and sugar. How can you go wrong?

Since the kid has been putting in so many hours this week, I decided to give them a go this afternoon. A little surprise at the end of his shift.

Dark Dutch-process cocoa power! Not just regular, but dark!!! Careful, careful. The measuring went well. Nothing spilled yet. Butter and sugars blended. Eggs, vanilla. All right. Time for the flour and cocoa powder mixture. Gently into the mixer. Great. And then...

As my hand accidentally bumps the switch on the side of the mixer, the machine flies into speeds reserved only for egg whites and heavy cream, a mushroom cloud of flour and dark cocoa powder explodes from the bowl onto everything in its path. The horror!! Damn you Martha.

In the spirit of full disclosure, the clean up took almost as long as it took to bake off the whole batch of cookies, but they are delicious, and I've had two. Does Martha have a recipe for shortbread?

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Ooo...I see the cocoa powder. The cookies look good. I think Martha must have people to clean up after her.