Saturday, July 12, 2008

French Garden Ideas

On the trip, I took some pictures that I hoped would inspire me in my own gardening at home. Of course, there are some things that just won't translate. I know I will never be able to grow hydrangeas like I saw in Biarritz--hillsides of them with blooms the size of basketballs. Sure, there are some that are hardy here in MN, but I see my neighbors pampering them they never look like these. This does reinforce my thinking that you should grow what wants to grow in your yard. Sure the French have hydrangeas and lavender (I've tried to grow that unsuccessfully as well), but I have lilacs.

This wisteria vine was taking over a structure on the site of the Chateau de Chenonceau. When I saw it, I couldn't wait to get home and see how much the one I planted this spring had grown. Mine isn't up to castle standards yet, but it's alive and sending out new shoots. This plant was my splurge when I purchased plants this season, and I'm interested to see how it does. I've heard it's a rapid grower, though not so easy to coax into a bloom. This one was beautiful and gives me something to shoot for in the coming seasons.

I was a little sad that I will not be able to duplicate some of the lovely window boxes I saw in the urban areas of France. Our house just isn't a window-box kind of house. It does show that you can garden anywhere.

In the category of "maybe someday" are the espaliered apple trees that made a 18-20" high fence around the potager garden at the same said castle. It was a cloudy day, so the picture isn't the greatest, but these apple trees were the perfect border around the prettiest herb and vegetable garden I've ever seen. This is gardening devotion.

Finally, for overall "ooh-ahh" I had to take a few pictures of the formal gardens around the castle. For the most part, there wasn't anything fussy or fancy growing in these gorgeous gardens, but what was there was well cared for and planted in the right combinations. A secret that works even my little suburban plot.

No comments: