Saturday, September 13, 2008

Knitting and Computers

What's better than having the Internet available when you're thinking about starting a new knitting project? You can check out different yarns, you can learn from everyone else who may have already made your project, and you can sometimes even see the finished item on a "real" body--everything looks good on someone who is 6' and 100 lbs. As someone who knit for many years in near virtual isolation (remember when knitting was only something that your Grandma did?), I love the resources available to me through my laptop. Unfortunately, my poor laptop suffers from my craft.

As I'm typing, it sounds as if a small aircraft is landing on my desk. I try and keep the fuzzies out. I faithfully blow out the dust balls that get sucked into my computer, but I think we're past that now. I think it's time for the professionals. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I get anxious at the thought of being separated from my laptop for a few days. After all, we do have other computers in the house, but it's just not the same. This one knows what I like.

If my laptop is gone next week, I should be able to go great guns on St. Brigid. At this point, I have the charts pretty much committed to memory, so even though I haven't had a lot of knitting time this week, when I have had a chance to get to it, the knitting has gone fast. I should be able to cast off the back this weekend. Last night I decided to measure my progress against another sweater I own that is a similar style, and now I'm certain that seven repeats of the large cable will be enough. I even debated about six, but this is a pattern that is meant to be boxy and over-sized. This is a Minnesota sweater--not for the menopausal.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Your St. B. is beating up on my St. B. I'm making progress, but it'll probably take longer because I'm going for the full length I'm on the third go around for the big charts. At least I catch boo boos quickly!

SYLVIE said...

Your St. Brigid is really nice! I just love the color! Wish I had thought of it, mine is yellow.