Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fabric Gift Baskets

The last few years I've given up on trying to find the "one perfect thing" to give each of my family members for Christmas, and started to give out bags or baskets of goodies instead. None of us need anything, but we all eat and drink, right? And shopping for edibles is something even I enjoy.

Now I'm always on the lookout for interesting ways to give the goodies. A couple of years ago I bought personalized tote bags. Last year I found some great baskets on sale. This year I found the answer while I was kicking around on the Internet---fabric baskets.

I stumbled on this tutorial last week that had step-by-step instructions for this super simple project. The measurements provided were a little too small for what I had in mind, but at least I had the general idea.

Each basket requires:
1. Lining: Since this is the largest pattern piece, I determined this measurement first. I wanted to make the most of the width of the fabric, in this case 44-45". So, I went one half the width and cut a lining piece that was 22" X 18". One half yard yields enough for two baskets.

**FYI: Keep in mind the direction and placement of the print before you purchase your yardage. You'll want your design to run the right direction and have larger motifs centered on the basket.

2.Upper Fabric Bands: You'll need two for each bag. Make them the same width as your lining and as wide as you want them to be. Mine were 5" X 18" pieces.

3. Lower Fabric Base: You'll need one base fabric. Again, cut this the same width as the lining and upper bands. The length will be the size of the lining, minus the upper bands. (Don't forget to include 1/2" seam allowances on each piece!) Mine were 14" X 18".

4. Interfacing: Cut one piece of heavy iron-on interfacing the same size as the lining. This give the basket some body.

The baskets on the original tutorial had handles made from ribbon. Instead, I made mine out of scraps of fabric. Cut two 7" X 4" pieces. Sew a 1/2" seam lengthwise, turn out, and iron the seam inside.

For this project, I purchased 1/2 yard of three co-ordinating prints to make two baskets, and I bought enough to make six baskets total. Then I just followed the instructions on the tutorial, and after an assembly line-like process of cutting, sewing, and ironing, I had all of them done in no time. One last thing: you will have to experiment to determine how large to make seam for the bottom corners. Mine were 5" across. Less and the bag is taller and thinner; more and the bag is shorter and wider.

Now comes the fun part. Filling them up. Fancy coffee, nuts, wine, candles, pretty napkins, snacks, or whatever looks and sounds good. Maybe with some extras to keep.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Nice gift baskets. You have the magic touch with presentations! I'm anxious to see you tomorrow!