Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thanksgiving Knits

These cute, little pumpkins caught my eye on Ravelry the other day, and before I knew it, I had knit a whole bunch of them. The Little Lucious Pumpkin pattern is a freebie on the site posted by Marie Greene.

The originals call for fingering weight, but I went with some leftovers of Brown Sheep Naturespun Sport. I still knit them on size 2 DPNs so that they're nice and firm to hold in the stuffing of lentils. This project would be good practice for someone who wants to try working with DPNs.

I think these would be great looking on the Thanksgiving table. Guests could take one home to remember a special day. You could even tie on a name tag and use them as place cards. Very cute. I may try knitting up a few tubes in red and make a few apples, too.

FYI: The tricky part was getting the lentils packed into the knitted tube. I found that using a kitchen funnel poked into the open end worked best. Load it up with the lentils and use a skewer to nudge in as many as you can. Then close it off and add the stem.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Love the pumpkins, especially the white ones! I still have to give my felted ones leaves and curlies this year. Mmmm...I have some leftover orange yarn...