Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Oh, the Weather Outside Is Frightful

The first good snowstorm of the season is always exciting. We are on the lighter edge of the snowfall totals here, but even this amount of snow looks impressive when it's whipped up by brisk winds.

As tempting as it was to stay in a warm bed this morning, I made it to the gym and had the place practically to myself. Wimps!!

Now I'm the wimp. I intend hole up inside today and get to some Christmas prep chores, so while the weather outside is frightful...

Speaking of exciting, after a few days of rather dull stockinette knitting, I am finally approaching the interesting part of my Patterned Yoke Cardigan---the yoke. The Packer game on Monday night gave me a chance to get an entire sleeve finished, but I haven't gotten back to it since.

This is the first time I've used one of the DROPS designs, and I probably wouldn't have made this one in its original form. It's the variations of the pattern posted on Ravelry that have appealed to me. Substituting a ribbed hem and cuff and adding longer sleeves gives the sweater a traditional look and also makes it more practical.

I haven't decided yet how I'm going to work the yoke. Some knitters have substituted moss stitch for the rows of "purl 3 together", and it's attractive. Maybe I'll try some of both and see what works the best. As much as I'd like to shut the laptop and pick it up right now, I have to resist that urge. Seriously, how great would it be to sip coffee, knit, and watch an old movie by the fireplace while the snow flies? That's going to have to wait for another time.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I'm sooo close to finishing the cardigan. I have to finish socks and then I can knit for Jim and Ben. Today it was so slippery. I got quite a bit done. Tomorrow is my day to myself!