Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Two for the Price of One

Last year I made the big mistake of ordering croissants from Williams-Sonoma for a holiday treat for our family. A big mistake because they are so incredibly delicious that I had to order some more again this year. And not only are they delicate, buttery goodness in every bite, but they are shipped with several pouches of dry ice. Two big thrills for the price of one!

Almost as soon as they arrived, I was producing mounds of bubbling fog on my kitchen counter. I did restrain myself and saved some for later when my husband got home. This actually made me feel better about the whole thing, since I was a little embarrassed by my delight over such a simple pleasure, but trust me, he was getting just as big of a thrill out of it as I was. Next year maybe I should just order up a boxes of dry ice for everyone's Christmas gifts. I will continue to get mine delivered with croissants, thank you very much.

I've become more acquainted with the UPS and FedEx drivers this week now that all my Internet purchases are being delivered. What a great way to shop for Christmas! And for me! I'm not a big shopper most of the year, so when I'm looking around for gifts, I always seem to find a few things I can't live without. Merry Christmas to me. Last week one of those items dropped right in my lap(top).

A while back, I was perusing the online knitting magazine Twist Collective and was intrigued by a story entitled Channeling Elizabeth by Sunday Holm about a wonderful keepsake one woman has from her famous---at least among knitters---godmother. Probably like everyone else who read the article, I proceeded to search and search trying to figure out why I couldn't find the link to the site where I would be able to purchase the pattern for this "I-can't-wait-to-make-it-for-myself" design. After several minutes, I finally figured out that there wasn't a pattern, at least not yet. (They have since noted that fact at the end of the piece.) I did get my name on a list of people who wished to be contacted by email when the pattern would become available, and that email popped up in my box over the weekend while I still had my still-smoking Visa card in hand after making a few Amazon purchases.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who was itching to make this sweater. It appears that Schoolhouse Press has been swamped with orders for the pattern and wool. This is great. I'm picturing Mrs. Zimmermann getting quite a kick out of the fuss being made about some old sweater. Good for her. So now even if I have to wait a little longer, it's big fun knowing I have one great Christmas gift coming my way.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Dry ice is AWESOME! I have to do some cyber shopping, too. Not enjoying the out and about shopping.

I need some java, how 'bout you?