Thursday, October 21, 2010

Delphinium

When I went to find some yarn for a new project, I made up my mind to go beyond my usual earth toned palate and venture into something new. And so I came home with delphinium. To me, delphinium sounds better than purple.

Once I finished my last sweater, I wasn't sure what to do next. I even went knitless for several days before I made up my mind and found the right fiber. (The hazards of being a monogamous knitter.)

The project I finally settled on was the Cabled Swing Cardi from The Knitter's Book of Yarn. This has been on my to-do list since I first bought the book. It's almost a knit jacket in style and has the prettiest cabled panel on the front. I went with Berroco's Vintage--a relatively inexpensive, worsted weight acrylic/wool/nylon blend. I had used this yarn once before on the Mondo Cable Cap. It's a nice basic that works beautifully for cables, is super soft, and comes in some great colors. I actually prefer this yarn over Cascade 220, although I'm sure some purists would balk at using anything less than pure wool.

The front piece has gone quickly. I did have to put it aside for a while last night. I had just gotten to the point where I was decreasing and binding off on both sides of the piece--you know, the kind of knitting where you have to pay attention to what you're doing--when we started watching the first episode of Season 2 of Fringe. Something had to go.

This weekend I should get a moment to wind up some other new yarn I found for a scarf project that I want to get going as well. Those were dark days when I didn't have any knitting in the house. It can't happen again. I'll snap a picture and post the details later.

No comments: