Friday, May 16, 2008

April Showers (Sleet) brings...

On April 23, I snapped this photo of my tulip bulbs just pushing up out of the ground. Planting the bulbs in the fall is never an enjoyable process--I'm pretty much over the gardening by then, and I usually put off the project so long that I'm freezing while I'm planting them--but the payoff in the spring is worth it. Today, less than a month later, they're opening up and are beautiful.

I plant tulip bulbs like I plant annuals--not expecting them to perform for more than one season. When I'm pulling the spent tulips out of my front garden bed, it never fails that a well-intentioned gardener walks by and feels the need to tell me that I shouldn't be pulling them out. I've learned to smile and just say, "Really?"

On the knitting front, I finished a couple of the Baby Soft Cardigans from The Knitter's Book of Yarn for Birthright and have cast-on the Sideways Cardigan that was on the cover of the Spring/Summer Vogue Knitting Magazine. The yarn it calls for was out of stock on some of the websites I checked, so I found a substitute. I chose Plymouth Yarn's Jeannee which is a cotton/acrylic blend that is machine wash and dry. It looked like a good choice from the gauge swatch. This should be a quicky project.

Time to get outside and get some dirt under my fingernails. Did I hear correctly that we are going to be close to 80 degrees today?

No comments: