Friday, May 9, 2008

Pretty flower, ugly name

The Bloodroots are always the first flowers to bloom in my garden, and their happy white blooms are such a welcome sight after the long winter. Their unfortunate name comes from the fact that if you were to dig up this plant and get the juice from the roots on your hands, your hands would be stained a reddish color.

The blooms close up in the evening and reopen in the morning light. Even though I have a busy day, I knew I had to get my pictures today, because the blooms do not last long. Cool weather helps, but they will be all done in a short while-- usually just in time to enjoy the tulips.

I got my Bloodroot plants from my Mom's garden --who probably got them from her Mom's garden. Even though they were planted in one corner of my shade garden, they pop up in the most unexpected places. I let them grow where they want, and they return every spring.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Oh how pretty! They grow in SHADE???? On their own???? You know me, Miss Brown Thumb. I need to bring my paints along and spend a day amongst your flowers. If I cant' grown them, I'll paint them! Thanks for posting the photos!