Friday, August 29, 2008

Empty Nesting

Now that our son is off to college, it's time to get to all the things that I said I would do "after Labor Day." True, I could slack off for a few more days, but why wait?

First thing on the list, go have coffee with a friend. Come on. I can at least slack off for a morning. The next priority was to get some of ripe tomatoes off the vine and pick what is getting to be the last of the green beans. BLTs for supper tonight. After all, it's so American to take something healthy like fresh tomatoes and pair them with bacon and mayo.

Once the veggies were in--I'm kidding myself into thinking I'm a farmer--it was time to tend to the flower beds. I can tell it's getting to be September as the plants are winding down. One of the biggest tasks is trying to keep up with the seed heads so that I'm not pulling up volunteers all over the garden next summer. I should really pick a few bouquets and bring them into the house. Somehow, when I get ready to cut the stem, I just don't seem to be able to do it. I always think I'd rather come outside and look at a flower for a week or so than have it on the breakfast table for only a day or two. So I'm a gutless farmer.

As hard as it is to wait until September officially hits to cast on St. Brigid, it's even harder to keep working on my Double-Knit Mittens. I am plodding on and am finally getting close to working the pattern and shaping at the top of the mitten. True confessions. At times, I've had momentary thoughts of amputation rather than having to knit the accompanying mitten for this set.

What do you do when you're working on a project that has become less than enjoyable? This is, after all, a hobby. It's supposed to be pleasant. Despite my complaining, I do like how this mitten is turning out, and it's not in my nature to give up on something just because it's not fun or easy. When is it virtuous to keep going, and when is it time to give it up? All I know is a St. Brigid September will be a welcome break.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

The mitten is nice, but St. B will be better!