Friday, August 1, 2008

Gaughan's Currer--Love It

Actually, it's the Currer without the Love It. I hadn't been able to find the Berroco Love It in a color or with enough skeins in a dye lot locally, and so I was on the lookout for a substitute. When I knit that (lame) BYOB, I thought that the Cotton-Ease would be a good choice for this pattern, and I was right. I got the buttons on this morning, and I love it (small "L"). It fits perfectly.

It took me only about a week to knit up the pieces. I did spend quite a bit of time after blocking with the seaming--sewing the peplum to the body was the toughest part. I still think I might do some gentle steaming along the seams to smooth them out, but I'm very pleased with the whole project. I can't wait to wear it, although it looks like I might have to with the predicted temps for the next few days into the 90's. Maybe I can bring it to an over-air-conditioned restaurant.

I also picked up some yarn for a shawl to work on for the Ravelympics. A few weeks ago I read a blog entry from The Rainey Sisters about the Wrapped In Care project, and I've been thinking about it ever since. We've had our own issues with having babies, but can not imagine the heartbreak of having your new infant die. Then when I read about the Ravelympics, I thought this would be a great opportunity to get a shawl knit up to send to the cause. What could be better than an easily memorized (I hope) lace pattern for watching TV? It took me awhile to decide on the yarn. I wanted something nice, but it does need to be machine washable, and I can't expect someone to reblock a shawl every time they want it cleaned. I decided to go with the Alix Prayer Shawl Pattern and a Bernat yarn called Satin. I think if I block it with steam, even though it's an acrylic, it should hold the pattern after washing. So, until the Olympics start, I'm back to my mittens.

Better run. I've accomplished the impossible and gotten all of my siblings to commit to coming over for dinner tomorrow night. Not all the spouses and kids are going to be able to make it, but we will have all the brothers and sisters (5) together with Mom for the first time in a long while. It should be fun.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Love the sweater. I'll have to rename you Speedy. Looks really nice. I hear the weather's supposed to cool down next week!